Piano Exam

Today, i had my grade 6 piano exam and i was totally not ready at all. For the past two weeks, i couldn't practice properly at all. i couldn't play my scales smoothly and my pieces were also getting worse. i kept on practising but the more i practiced the more worse it became.
Then it was the last week of the exam, i practically started to avoid the piano, i didn't want to sit on that chair, i didn't want to put my fingers on the keys, i didn't want to touch that piano. i was to afraid to face the fact that i was not ready for the exam yet, and my scales and pieces still needed more practice. during the last piano lesson before the exam, i played quite terribly, i knew that my teacher was quite disappointed. my aural wasn't going well too, i couldn't remember the melody, my pitch was way out, i couldn't diffeciate between perfect and imperfect cadences and i didn't know how to tell which period was the piece played. i was afraid i might fail. i guess this time i am just really under pressure because i put too much pressure on myself, in my grade 5 exam, surprisingly i got a distinction, i was shocked then. and maybe because of this, i really wanted to do well in this exam but i wasn't ready.
The day before the exam....i only practiced once because i couldn't play properly and i didn't want to face that fact again....this morning....i woke up at about 8...my mind was so crowded with things that i couldn't think straight anymore...i kepy on thinkin about the exam..and the truth was there was someone in my head that made me truly very frustrated.. i dreaded from going near the piano, but i knew i had to practice sooner or later so only at about 10 then i sat down and tried to force myself to practice. today was ok i guess, i still slipped a lot but not as much as i did for the past 2 weeks. i told myself to relax and kept on practicing. i practiced my aural, and i sounded bad..haha..totally out of pitch..then it was time to leave the house and go to merdeka palace.
As usual, i went to the lobby and went to the lift and press number 5. as the lift door opened, i saw my teacher and it was very cold..and so i sat on the cushion chair and told myself to relax. i read through some of the terms for piano and on how to differenciate the different periods. then i took my piano book and look through my pieces, then i covered it and just stared at this sign that was stuck to the wall..it wrote :
"examination in progress
keep silent"
i didn't know why i keep on looking at that..haha...then it was my brothers turn to have the exam. when he went it my heart started beating real fast because i know after his turn it would be my turn. i breathe deeply and tried to relax. but somehow the time was passing so slow, i just really wanted to get it done and get it over with..then my bro came out. and my heart was beating 10 times faster...i walked to the door and waited. my legs were wobbly and i felt that i could have just colapsed any second..haha...i could hear my heart beating so fast i thought i might have had a heart attack..haha..then the examiner opened the door and greeted me. i walked in and said :"Good afternooon, sir." in a very shaky voice.haha...then he asked me to sit and he ask whether i want to start with scales first or pieces first. i answered him and then the exam started. my scales were ok, except for a few slip notes here and there.but the worst was my contrary motion..haha..i had to many false starts. i repeated almost 3 times..then the pieces..i can't say i played well, but when i play the pieces i didn't fell like i was playing it like i always do, i felt so uncomfortable. then the sight reading was ok. then it was time for the aural. the melody part was ok.then it was the sight singing, man, was i out of pitch..haha..but i went on singing..haha..then the others was ok...
at least now i can finally put my mind off the exam because it is over..phew..i would be happy if i just had a pass..hopefully i won't fail..but if i do..i will try my best the next year..and hopefully the next year i won't be this unprepared anymore...
So, this is about my day today and my piano exam for grade 6...

Comments

Popular Posts